DIESEL OR BATTERY POWERED CARTS? DIFFERENCES BETWEEN ELECTRIC AND HYDRAULIC MOTORS FOR HEAVY DUTY TRANSPORTATION
Morello offers unique expertise in manufacturing of custom-made heavy-duty platform cartsfor global industry. Transporting weights of up to 1000 tons, Morello solutions are 100% tailored to the client’s operational requirements.
The key factor impacting the performance of any heavy duty carts is the power supply and type of engine with which the vehicle will be fitted. Morello offers three essential solutions including battery, diesel and hybrid heavy duty carts.
Considering issues related to diesel-powered carts, more and more industrial companies are seeing and understanding the benefits of battery powered technology and electric motors.
Battery powered solutions represent key area of expertise in Morello and as battery technology continue to develop this will allow for even greater benefits going forward. Our battery powered cartsare by far the most popular choice for industrials as the advantages significantly outweigh the benefits of the diesel power alternative.
Let’s have a closer look at the specific advantages.
Advantages of battery powered carts with electric motors
1) Preventing air pollution: electric motors are emission-free, they can be used both indoors and outdoors without danger of impacting air quality.
2) Preventing noise pollution: battery-driven solutions are infinitely quieter than diesel-powered carts powered by a noisy hydraulic pump and so reduce factory noise pollution, especially beneficial in a 24-hour, day and night, working environment.
3) Cost-effective while electricity is cheaper than diesel. Electric motors, driven directly by battery or diesel generator, are more efficient compared to diesel carts.
4) Zero Maintenance for battery powered carts provide cost and efficiency benefits that are self-evident.
5) Remote Monitoring of batteries, especially lithium batteries that can be configured and monitored remotely for working hours, usage, wear and tear reducing downtime. An electric motor, fitted with sensors, can be precisely controlled. The remote monitoring and management possibilities ensure greater precision and maneuverability, better diagnostics, overall reliability, less downtime, and greater automation. This is not possible with hydraulic motors.
6) Innovative solution with the possibility of increased automation, zero environmental impact, and remote monitoring for efficiency. Battery-powered carts are the lowest risk and long term investment.
7) Safety benefits of electric motor guarantees higher level of safety than one with a hydraulic motor. An electric motor has all the in-built safety features and components provided by the major automation component manufacturers including Siemens, SICK and others.
8) Useful life of battery-powered carts equipped with electric motor provides easy and cheap replacement compared to a hydraulic motor.
Advantages of hybrid heavy duty carts
Hybrid models compared to full electric solutions provide a useful alternative option for one specific reason: unlimited operation autonomy. The Hybrid can continue working indefinitely as it does not have to stop to recharge, or to change batteries (remove the rundown battery with a charged battery). The operator can switch from battery power (completely emission-free) to diesel power simply by turning a selector. While hybrid heavy duty carts run with the diesel generator set to power up the on-board battery.
With more on-board technology it is obviously a more costly option which must be evaluated based on a company’s operation goals.
Heavy Duty Platform Cart Models
Today customized battery powered carts represent key Morello expertise. Here are some examples of our solutions.
Battery powered carts with electric motor:
- Battery powered electric truck, with on-board driver cabin, for handling large loads within industrial plants. Load capacity is 40 tones; Platform is 7.6m x 2.5m
- 2 battery powered SPMTs for an important Indian multinational. Load capacity is 25 tones; Platform is 5m x 2.9m
- Precast tunnel lining transporter for the Tideway Tunnel project in UK – Load capacity is 60 tones; Platform is 5.4m x 1.7m.
Diesel powered carts with electric motor:
- Steel Mill yard, outdoor use, heavy duty transporter. Load capacity is 130 tones; Platform is 6m x 3m.
Hybrid heavy-duty carts:
- Diesel-electric hybrid versatile truck for both indoor and outdoor material handling. Load capacity is 20 tones; Platform is 3.3m x 2.4m.