Decommissioning of an electronuclear plant in Latina, Lazio, Italy. The electronuclear plant was active from 1963 to 1987. The first stage of decommissioning must be completed by 2027.
Sogin is the company responsible for the decommissioning process. There were two operational requirements for heavy-duty handling, for which Morello submitted two detailed proposals.
- The handling of “shells” weighing 120 tons and measuring 5.6 m x 3.4 m. These had to be moved from an outside location to a purpose-built storage facility where the shells would be cut and sectioned into smaller pieces for their subsequent disposal.
- The handling of containers with contaminated waste weighing up to 20 tons. These containers needed to be handled within the plant and lifted to an upper floor.
The plant in Latina, in the region of Lazio in Italy, is located in an earthquake zone. Morello needed to ensure that the heavy-duty equipment for handling and transporting industrial materials and loads was able to withstand any potential tremors of varying intensity.
To address these challenges, Morello proposed and built three industrial transfer carts.
- Shell transportation: A battery-powered transfer cart on wheels (SGAI-E VSP3): The SGAI cart had a special configuration with 32 super-elastic wheels, mechanical equalization mechanisms to guarantee contact with the ground of all 32 wheels and perfect weight distribution, and 4 maintenance-free electric drive motors. The steering mechanism was designed to avoid wheel slippage during steering operations (Ackermann steering). A self-loading platform with a 130-ton capacity powered by a hydraulic system with electric motor and 8 cylinders integrated into the chassis.
The laser scanners guarantee a safety stop function in the event of obstacles along the cart’s trajectory.
The SGAI model was supplied together with a steel chassis (weighing 10 tons) to be positioned on 4 supports, which would be lifted and handled by the transfer cart once the shells had been placed on top.
- Shell transportation and rotation: A battery-powered rail transfer cart (SBA): a load capacity of 130 tons, supported by 8 double-edged steel wheels for accurate positioning. A rotary platform allowing the shells to be suitably placed for cutting and sectioning operations.
- Handling of containers with contaminated material: A battery-powered rail transfer cart (SBA-E): equipped with a lifting platform to lift the containers by means of 4 cylinders with position and pressure sensors. The cart is fitted with numerous sensors and additional safety devices for maximum operational safety.
The structure of all three industrial heavy-duty transfer carts was designed to withstand seismic waves, and the client was also provided with the relative supporting documentation. A significant amount of technical documentation is required in a nuclear plant, well beyond standard heavy industry requirements. This was all drafted and supplied by Morello, exactly as requested.
Morello has optimized its proprietary software over the years. Morello carts and machines feature advanced diagnostics on the HMI (human-machine interface) and integrated IoT functions allowing Morello to provide remote assistance, where and when required.
Morello industrial handling carts guarantee high-level performance, safety and precision thanks to the use of the most advanced technology. In nuclear plants, it is essential that all operating risks be eliminated. Morello’s refined problem-solving methodology provides global industrial firms in the energy sector with the assistance and technology they need to function efficiently and safely.
Transportation and rotation of Shells: 1 Battery-powered Rail Guided Transport Cart (SBA): a 130-ton load capacity, supported by 8 double edged rail wheels for high precision positioning. A rotating platform allowed the shells to be positioned appropriately for cutting and sectioning.
Movement of Contaminated Material Containers: 1 (SBA-E): equipped with a raisable platform to lift the containers utilising 4 cylinders with position and pressure sensors. The cart was specially equipped with numerous additional sensors and security controls for maximum operational safety.
The structure of all three industrial transfer carts was designed to withstand seismic shocks and supporting documentation was provided to the client to this effect. In addition, a significant quantity of technical documentation, well beyond heavy industry general requirements, is required to operate within a nuclear power plant and this was completed and provided by Morello as requested.
Morello has optimised its proprietary software operating system over many years. There is advanced diagnostics on the HMI (human-machine interface) and the integrated IoT capabilities allow Morello to provide ongoing remote assistance where required.
Morello guarantees a high level of performance, security and precision thanks to employing the most advanced technologies. Nuclear Energy power plants must eliminate operational risk. Morello’s fine-tuned approach to problem solving provides multinational industrial corporations in the energy sector with the support and technology they require to operate efficiently and safely.